Monday, January 30, 2012

Transitions. Winter Short Track Race #3.

 
   Sunday marked the transition from cyclocross back to MTB, from single speed to gears, from 29" to 26" wheels from rigid to full suspension from my old team to my new team and from my old coach to my new coach.  Sound overwhelming?  Apparently it was.  I went from front runner in race #1 to back marker in race #3.  Like, way back.  As in, got lapped twice.  I had an opportunity to race an amazingly well set-up bike that wove it's way nimbly through the woods with ease only to get blown away lap after up the gravel road and through the parking lot.  To be sure, the experts were setting a torrid pace but I was a bit off my usual pace.  But this wasn't a race I was tapering and preparing for.  Rather it was a race to train through and to get familiar with a new bike.  So, in that respect it was mission accomplished.  It just never feels good to get smoked so badly.

   I must say, I did a have a great time.  I got to hang out with a lot of friends on a beautiful day.  I got a great training ride in on an amazing bike.  I'm starting to learn how to shift gears again and by about lap 15 I was starting to figure out how aggressive I needed to be on the corners with the little wheels.

   I really enjoy the atmosphere of these races.  There are so many encouraging people all around the course.  It really keeps the motivation high.

  I'm loving being back on the MTB, I'm starting to get shifting down (XX is SWEET), I'm still a little sketchy on the 26" wheels but I can see where they are going to be faster,  I am really digging the new team and the tremendous support I am getting and it looks like the new coach is going to work out well, too - he lets me ride an extra 30 - 60 minutes after the scheduled workouts if I want to :)

   It's almost like when you ask for help to make the right decisions  ...and listen to the answer that amazing things can happen.

I am amazed.  I am blessed.  I am thankful.

See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment