Saturday, April 2, 2011

I went to a MTB race and Cyclcross race broke out...

With the rain over night in the North Wilkesboro area, the Warrior Creek trail was quite slick.  The trail volunteers did an amazing job getting it raceable.  It was still pretty sketchy the first lap.  I think my cyclocross racing experience paid off.  Each lap the course dried a bit more and by the end of the day it was just about perfect.  The day started out chilly, but warmed up with clear, sunny skies.  It was a bit windy at times, though.

My race went pretty well.  I got a start reasonably near the front because I knew there would be a lot of pile-ups and bottle necks in the mud.   ...and there was.  With the trail conditions being what they were, my strategy was to make sure I made the time cut to do the 5th lap.  I did that.  In fact I was on the wheel of the eventual class winner (Solo 40+), Brian Conroy.  When he found out we were racing for position, he picked up the pace and I couldn't hang with him and I ended up 2nd.  Congratulations Brian!

My pit stop strategy was:
#1 Finish off the water each lap (HEED + Endurolyte)
#2 Pick up a Hammer bar to eat on the trail
#3 Drink some water while stopped
#4 Stop for the shortest amount of time as possible


Thanks Cool Breeze Cyclery and Trek Bicycle Store Charlotte for all the support!
...and thanks to all who yelled encouragement to me on the trail!  It really does make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment