Sunday, March 27, 2011

Training phase one: New bike. It's Superfly


Last Thursday my Superfly 100 Elite was still in a box riding on the UPS truck.  It was assembled by the good folks at Cool Breeze Cyclery in time for me to pick it up that same evening.  Friday I put the pedals on and adjusted the fit.  Today was its’ debut ride. 
With rain imminent, I arrived at Lake Norman State Park shortly after the gates opened.  I’ve been riding 29er hardtails (Gary Fisher Rig and Paragon) so I was surprised how lively and responsive the Superfly’s full suspension felt.  It was very confidence inspiring and I found myself going faster than I realized.  I was concerned about the 2x10 gearing.  I normally ride single speed or 1x9 because I don’t like shifting the front rings.  Not only was shifting the front quite seamless, it was also not needed.  Riding a lively endurance pace (definitely not hammering) I was able to comfortably ride all of the trails in the big ring.  The bike doesn’t really care about cross-chaining.  It never complained about being in the big – big combination.  I was only scheduled for a 2 hour ride, so after a lap of all the loops and a 2nd trip around the Laurel Loop (I have to confess to a little bit of hammering the 2nd time around) it was time to cool down and quit for the day.
My first race for the Superfly will be at the 6 hours of Warrior Creek next weekend.  This race will serve as a tune-up and dial in section (for me and the bike) for the Cohutta 100 Mile MTB race at the end of April, followed by the Trans-Sylvania Epic stage race at the end of May.

Feel free to come by the Trek Store/Cool Breeze tent at Warrior Creek this weekend and introduce yourself and check out the cool Trek bikes.

See you on the trails!
-bruce
Trek Bicycle Store/Cool Breeze Cyclery MTB racer

No comments:

Post a Comment