Sunday, December 23, 2012

Perspective


It's really rather simple to be fast on a bike.  It's like the old anecdote about carving an elephant out of a block of granite - you just chisel away everything that doesn't look like an elephant. Only, in cycling, you just don't do anything that doesn't make you faster.  While this singular-minded focus will make you fast on the bike, it comes with a large price tag.  But the addictive nature of the sport combined with my excessive-compulsive nature keeps me fighting the battle of balance on a regular basis.  Just ask my wife.  Or better yet, don't ask my wife...

You see, I've been involved in performance driven sports most of my life.  Both professionally and as "hobbies". Hard work has always paid off, but you are only as good as your last result. I've been fortunate enough to excel in this arena.  It's a shame, really, in some respects.  Because it makes it hard for me to accept that my value does not come from what I've done, but who I am.

I was created in God's image.  He sent his son to die for me.  The greatest christmas gift of all.  I just had to believe that He died and rose again.  For me.  No matter how many races I win or lose, where I work, or what I've done.  He died for me.

And for you.

No matter what you've done or who you are.

This Christmas maybe take a minute to remember that the greatest gift of all is for you.
A free gift for you.

Merry Christmas!
See you on the trails

No comments:

Post a Comment