Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jerdon Mountain Challenge

This was the inaugural Jerdon Mountain Challenge, so there were no past results to help me predict my finish time.  It's basically 1/2 of ORAMM which I did in a little over 6 hours last year, so I figured 2:45 would be a reasonable goal.  My secret, fantasy, dream-world finish was, of course, to win the race and in doing so have the course record.  That lofty and fanciful dream was crushed when Jeremiah Bishop rolled onto the starting grid.  So I took a more realistic approach: Hang with JB as long as possible.  Hopefully, at least to the singletrack 7 miles up the road.

When the gun goes off I clip in and start working my way through the pack.  We started behind a pace vehicle through town before getting the go ahead to race up the first big climb on Old 70.  This climb suits me well and I'm able to hang with the lead pack even as the number of riders in the pack dwindles.  Of course there is a difference in my climbing and Jeremiah's.  He's riding pretty casual, and I'm pushing threshold.  No matter.  I'm in the same lead group he is.  We all blow thru the 1st (cheering) aid station at mile 7 and begin the climb up Kitsuma.  I entered the single track in 5th place.  So, pretty much no matter what happened the rest of the day, I've had a great race!

The first part of Kitsuma has some added water bars that are difficult for me on the 26", but the switch backs and descents went a bit better on this bike.  There is some confusion with some optional hiking trails that have been added on the climb.  JB is headed back towards me, certain that he is going the wrong way.  We get it straightened out and continue the climb.  On one of the descents I get a little crossed up and end up over the bars.  No big deal, except now my helmet retention system has come unhooked and I don't really wanna stop to fix it.  So, when I catch back up to 2 riders on the descent I decide to safely follow them rather then trust in my own (some times lacking) dare devil descending abilities and fix the helmet at the next aid station.

At aid station #2, I meet #1 son.  I fix my helmet, get another water bottle and hammer on.  More switchback climbing.  When we start the switchback descending I blow through the first switchback ending up deep in the rhododendron.  I decide I need to do a better job keeping my speed in check.  Three hundred yards later I find myself in the rhododendron again.  Just not quite as far.  OK, I need to do an even better job keeping my speed in check...

On a fire road climb I catch another rider.  He says he's not a racer and tells me that I'm in 6th, about 3 minutes back.  Cool.  I continue to push the pace.  This is gravelly fire road ascending and descending.  I miss the stability in the corners of my 29'er, but the fire road is smooth enough that I may be rolling faster on this bike.  At about mile 24 I catch 5th place.  He's got his bike upside down fixing a flat.  I certainly know that feeling.

I roll into the final aid station, getting a water bottle hand-up from #1 son, no stopping required.  From here I know that it is 4 miles to the finish.  All paved.  I hit time trial mode.  Fork locked, hands near the stem, tucked as much as possible, keeping an eye on my power - being sure to focus on the number I know I can maintain for the next 10 - 12 minutes.

I roll past the "Welcome to Old Fort" sign and start looking for the arrows that will guide me back to the Gateway Museum and the finish line.  There it is.  A policemen halts traffic and I make the left turn onto the museum property, over the bridge and around the final corner where the clock ticks 2:18.  Sweet.

When they post the results I'm listed as 2nd in Master's.  45 seconds behind the class winner and 8 minutes behind overall winner, Jeremiah Bishop.  A good day. 

ORAMM tomorrow.  Full recovery mode the rest of the day.

See you on the trails - but not today!

No comments:

Post a Comment