Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cohutta 100 prep

Next Saturday will mark my third trip to the Cohutta 100.  Three years ago it was my first 100 mile MTB race, and perhaps the first time I'd ever ridden any bike 100 miles in one day, much less raced a MTB that long.  I had a lot of anxiety going in about just being able to finish on that day.  But I did, and did well.  Last year I, of course, wanted to do better.  The pressure was to push the pace and get a better time than the year before.  Which I did, even though there was a lot more deep gravel on some of the fire roads making for some sketchy descents.  ...well, sketchy if you were trying to go as fast as possible.

This year there is a change in the course.  More single track and more climbing have been added.  This year there is going to be a change in my approach as well. You see, I really love riding my MTB all day.  Having support about every 20 miles and a marked 100 mile course and lots of other riders to ride with.... What more could I ask for?  Sure, I trained hard, I'm lighter, I'm faster and this is a goal event for me this year, but no matter what my result, no matter what my time, this is going to be my best Cohutta yet.  I'm going to enjoy the riding - not just suffer from aid station to aid station.  I'm going to enjoy the time of riding around God's creation all day and meeting my wife at a few aid stations along the way.

At the end of the day I want to enjoy the accomplishment of knowing that I did what I went there to do:  give all I have.  No matter what my result is, no matter what my time is.

See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment