Saturday, April 7, 2012

6 Hours of Warrior Creek or 1:40 of Lap #1


Warrior Creek is one of my favorite trails.  It's fast and flowy and generally super-fun.  So the  6 hour race there is one I look forward to every spring.  This year my bike of choice was my Solis Pyrolite.  It's a super light carbon hardtail 29'er.  I raced this set-up at Southern Cross and gained an appreciation for just how fast this bike rolls on The Vee 12 tires.

The first lap always starts with a paved road section to break up the field before the singletrack starts.  I almost felt like I was cheating the way the bike effortlessly rolled along the pavement.  That feeling would be short-lived. 

When we jumped into the singletrack I was pleasantly surprised by how dry the trail was.  Nice and hard-packed.  This would be a good day.  I got into the woods in unusually good position (for me, anyway).  I pass people as the opportunity arises, but I wasn't pushing the pace too hard.  I could see some of the podium contenders for my class up ahead.  Something I don't usually see until about the 3/4 distance mark most races.  This would be a good day.

And then a clunk.  Must've been my seat bag.  No worries.  And then another clunk.  Did my seat move?  No worries.  The next clunk leaves my saddle flopping on the seat post.  Better stop and fix that.  I don't have a multi-tool, but I am quickly offered one by another racer.  Sweet.  Countless riders roll by and offer help as I scramble to hold the bike and the pieces.  Somehow I don't have enough hands to hold all the pieces in place to tighten them.  The third time I drop parts I can no longer find them in the leaves.  Plan B:  ride back to the pits.  Fine.  So, I put the saddle in my pocket and the seat bag in...  Hmmmm.... No saddle = no place to hang saddle bag.  Marvelous.  So I spend the next 7.5 miles reminding myself no to sit down, occasionally stopping to retrieve my saddle bag or just banging it around between my legs.

When I get back to the pits, #1 son Anthony is there with my Blue FS bike ready to go.  He switches my number panel to bike #2 and I'm off.  At this point I'm not sure of my plan.  It seems pointless to hammer for a mid-pack position but even more pointless to quit.  I decide to ride how I feel.  The more I ready the better I feel.  It was kinda cool having suspension on both ends.  I still had some super light tires on this bike that I had on for the Tsali time trial.  It climbed very well.  I was able to stay in the big ring all 5 laps.  Last year I had to do some small ring climbing with the same 2x10 gearing.

At the end of the much quicker lap #2 my wife and son are both there for feeding and support.  I get my supplies and hurriedly roll off.  Somehow that didn't seem right.  I get such good support and didn't say anything.

Lap #3 goes surprisingly well.  I have to pass lots of people, but the trail is in great shape, the weather is great and I'm feeling good.  At the end of lap #3 the wife and son are there again.  Faithfully.  This time I get my stuff, thank them both and kiss my wife.  That was better.

As I roll along on lap #4 I check my pace and set a goal to finish lap#5 by the 6:00 mark.  I get taken out by a confused lap rider who is trying to clear the way for me but thought "on your left" meant that I wanted him to go left.  We both go left, we both crash.  I jump back on the bike and hammer on.

At the end of lap #4 I'm informed I am in 9th place.  Better than I figured.  As I click off the last 12.5 miles and pass other weary riders I remind myself to enjoy each mile of this lap.  I pass at least one rider that had been ahead of me in my class.  I cross the finish line at 6:02 to the cheers of friends, family and well-wishers.

It has been a good day.

See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment