Sunday, July 22, 2012

ORAMM

I didn't think I was going to be able to race ORAMM this year, so I missed out on getting an entry.  Once again I had to wait for someone willing to sell and transfer their entry.  I'm glad I got in for my 2nd year.  Last year I didn't fully realize how big of a deal ORAMM is.  The entry limit is capped at 500 and it's a goal event for an awful lot of riders - from those just starting out in endurance racing to professional MTB racers.

I wasn't sure how the legs would respond after yesterday's race.  I started somewhere near the middle of the 500 riders.  When the gun went off (early) for the 8:00am start I started passing riders at every opportunity.  I decided to keep an eye on the power meter and ride a little above threshold and see where I ended up going into the first single track section: Kitsuma.  For 7 miles I kept a steady pace and constantly passed people.  I wonder if the same people that are kind enough to let me by on the climb up old 70 are the same people that have to push their way to the front for the start?

I was far enough toward the pointy end of the field to be able to ride Kitsuma without having to wait on hike-a-bikers.  I did notice that yesterday I had taken a wrong turn onto a short walking trail.  I managed to avoid that mistake this time.  The bike trail was much more ride-able and I avoided yesterdays endo site.

I knew I would be missing a bit of yesterdays power, so my goal was to be smooth today.  I reminded myself of this while doing the Kitsuma and Jarrett Creek descents.  I didn't blow through any switchbacks today.

I only have one water bottle cage on my 26" bike, so it would be important to hit all the aid stations.  I had the help of #1 son at aid station 1,2 and 5.  I had drop bags at 3,4.  Aid station #3 was at the top of Curtis Creek.  Curtis Creek is a very long climb, and the miles slowly tick by.  It would be easy to go too hard early, or get impatient part-way thru the climb and get completely cooked before the top.  Again, I watch my power meter and try to ride a pace that is hard, but maintainable to the top.  It seems like half of the race is spent on this (and the next) climb.  But I reach the top feeling pretty good.  After a brief panic by the volunteers to find my drop bag, I reload and carry on down the Black Mountain fire road descent. 

The descent goes well, though I nearly hit an oncoming vehicle (Sorry, blue Element driver!) and it was a bit too short to be recovered for the Black Mountain climb to aid station 4.  I follow the same climbing protocol as Curtis Creek.  Watch the power and stay focused.  The stop at aid #4 goes well, but there is a bit more climbing up the Blue Ridge Parkway than what I remembered from last year.  Knowing that there is only one more big climb after this one, and two more sweet descents keeps me motivated to press on at that "uncomfortably difficult pace" that is endurance racing.

The hike-a-bike section from the Parkway up Heartbreak ridge is a bit of a struggle, but soon I'm back on my bike and headed down Heartbreak.  Last year's ORAMM was the first time I had seen this descent.  It really helped having seen it before for this year.  I stayed smooth, but the Rhododendron were way overgrown making it a somewhat stressful (but successful) descent.

Heartbreak is a looong descent.  It seems like I have just left aid station 4 when I pop out onto the road at aid station #5.  Number 1 son hooks me up, and I begin the climb up Mill Creek.  The first part of the climb is large, loose gravel, and for the first time I feel at a big disadvantage on 26" wheels.  But this section is short, and it's much more well-packed gravel the rest of the way back to Old 70.

I hit the Kitsuma trail with another rider, which is good because I probably would have try to go too hard up the steep, switchback climbs.  The climb goes well, and we hammer down the descent.  I feel pretty good on the descent.  But it's easy to feel that way when descending.

When we complete the descent (I actually passed a few people here) and pop onto the road I notice the fatigue had really started to set in.  I struggled to ride endurance pace.  The legs started to come back around and I pace-lined back toward Old Fort with another racer.

When we get to the final railroad crossing, just minutes from the finish, there are 4 other racers waiting for a train to pass by.  They had already been waiting 3 minutes by the time we got there.  Two or 3 minutes later the train finally passes and we hammer into town.  It didn't seem fair to attack the riders that had been waiting longer, and the legs were just fine with that decision.  I rolled in at 5:41.  19 minutes faster than my goal, 28 minutes faster than last year ...and exactly what my coach predicted.

It had been a great day, and a great weekend of racing.  It was nice not to have any issues and to have great weather and great pit support and to see so many of my racing friends.

I am very blessed.

See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment